LocationNetherlands, United Kingdom
Pre-requisitesPlease bring original certificates and evidence as required:
- Leadership Registration Form.
- Log Book showing evidence of experience (see syllabus for appropriate experience).
- Recognised First Aid Award (minimum 2 day training inc. CPR) within the last 3 years.
- Relevant Leadership Training – BC Sea Kayak Leader Training or BC 4 Star Sea Kayak Leader Training within the last 3 years.
- Relevant Safety Training Certificate – Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning, or similar NGB structured theoretical navigation course.
Course ContentDuring the two day we will cover as many aspects of the Sea Kayak Leader Syllabus as time and conditions allow. This will be done on moderate tidal waters, in winds up to force 4 and tidal streams up to 3 knots. You will be assessed leading a group of fellow paddlers of about 3 Star standard. The assessment will include:
Personal Paddling Skills
- Lifting, carrying and launching/landing
- Efficient and effective sea paddling skills
- Forward paddling
- Forward paddling
- Reversing and stopping
- Maintaining direction
- Changing direction
- Moving sideways
- Support strokes
- Practical navigation
Rescue Skills, Safety, Leadership and Group Management
- Boat and shore based safety and rescue skills
- Incident management and first aid in the moderate water environment
- Being an effective team leader and team member in rescues/incidents
- Application of leadership
- Leadership strategies, judgement and decision making
- Safety awareness and risk management
- Group control and management
- Safety (includes coastguard and rescue services)
- Hypothermia/first aid
- Group awareness and management
- Etiquette (include collision regulations and signals)
- General (and historical)
- Leadership responsibilities
- Water features/hazards